There are a number of ways that whey protein can help you lose weight.
- Thermic Effect - Your body burns more calories to digest protein than it does other types of food. Increasing your amount of protein will help you use more calories and increase your weight loss. One serving of whey protein powder daily can help you burn more calories. Choose a low-calorie protein supplement for maximum effect.
- Muscle Mass - When you are losing weight, you want to lose fat, not muscle. Muscle tissue is important because it keeps you strong and burns more calories than other types of tissues in your body. To preserve your muscle mass while dieting, you need plenty of protein in your diet. Whey protein powder is a convenient, low-calorie way to get the protein your body needs.
- Blood Sugar - When you eat protein, glucose is absorbed more slowly into your bloodstream. Your blood sugar levels will be more stable, and tend to be lower. When your blood sugar levels are stable, your body produces less insulin, stores less new fat and burns more fat from your existing body stores. Whey protein powder can be used for snacks to help keep your blood sugar levels stable.
- Satiety - Because it takes longer to digest, protein helps you feel full longer. Whey protein contains glycomacropeptide, which promotes the release of the appetite-suppressing hormone CCK in your body. This also will help you feel full and make it easier to eat less, sticking to your diet plan.
- Immune Support - Whey protein promotes the formation of glutathione in your body. Glutathione is an antioxidant that helps support your immune system. When you exercise aggressively or are under stress, as when you are on a diet, supporting your immune system is important. Using whey protein powder can help you maintain your health and improve your weight.
Whey protein is derived from milk and is usually sold in powder form. If you are using whey protein powder for weight loss, look for a brand with concentrated protein in each serving and fewer carbohydrates and calories. - LiveStrong